Final Cheque for Cancer Research UK

Final Cheque for Cancer Research UK
Dawn Harrison of Cancer Research UK receiving cheque with Team Kinglets!

Saturday 12 June 2010

Angel Sam looking over me!






Day 23 – 12th June 2010 Penultimate day before the final push to the end!

Another good day with much running support from daughter Sam! Felt good despite a very late night at our ‘home B&B’ – just going to bed when one of our burglar alarm sirens decided to wake up the neighbourhood – as resident in-house technician I had to dismantle the bell box stood on top of small ladder, working in the dark with dear Sam and Ro (her with broken arm) holding the ladder. I only mention this because I could imagine folks saying ‘How did Ian get on with the run?’ – ‘He didn’t finish as he twisted ankle falling off a ladder into a rose bed at just after midnight ... !’ Yeh – right.
Anyway, I digress. Started back in sunny Woolacombe with Sam joining me shortly after to run with me to Lee bay. As I ran into Ifracombe David and Anne Griffiths drove in alongside me to meet all the team at the Harbour car park – where we again met many generous people! We all met again at Combe Martin and consumed pasties generously provided by Team Griffiths! The days real work then began with the over 1000 foot climb over the two Hangman hills and on towards Holdstone Down – where I could hear Sam calling me but couldn’t see her. Eventually we met and both ran together to where rest of team were. Over the next hour or so I continued towards Heddon’s Mouth but my drink supplies were rapidly running out! So it was with delight and surprise when I heard a voice calling ‘Hey Dad’ in the depths of the woods near Hunter’s Inn – yes, Sam had appeared again like a guardian angel with drink supplies! I plodded on to be eventually applauded by all concerned at Lee Abbey – where Tabea, Caleb and Kim (from Lee Abbey) very kindly replenished our hot water flasks and supplied extra refreshments free of charge. Wonderful people. Sam ran with me again for the final lovely stretch past the Valley of the Rocks down to Lynmouth. A hilly 26 miles today leaving about 22 miles to the finish in Minehead tomorrow! (Wobbly old legs permitting)

No comments:

Post a Comment